Friday, July 18, 2008

My Steadfast Friend

Hebrews 13:8 states that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Thank goodness! I guess that's why He is God and I am not. How I am day to day often depends on my circumstances.

In the past few weeks, I have felt justified in pulling away from my Savior and friend. Life has been tough. Everyone has struggles, of course, but I felt particulary entitled to stress out and give myself permission to unravel.

My husband and I hadn't been getting along. In March 2006, I learned he had a secret addiction and though our relationship is significantly better, the behaviors and attitudes can continue to challenge. Sometimes it gets to be too much and I wonder if God knew what He was doing calling me toward reconciliation with my husband.

Then, June 15 marked one year of unemployment for me. I have had some self-employment and a few temp jobs, but nothing steady. I was feeling lower than low this week. The Bible and prayer just seemed like words meant for other people.

Then, lo and behold, I got a job and tensions eased at home. I felt great. I sought after my Savior and friend again, but I didn't have to seek far. He hadn't gone anywhere.

A friend like this is rare to find. In fact, there is none like Him. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. And those aren't just words on a page.

No comments: